Monday, June 11, 2012

Rose Tinted


Beauty? What is that? I don't know. Neither can I define it. This train is presently chugging along at 80kph through dry, barren agricultural lands. It’s that time of the year when the nature is scantily clad in greenery & the sun relentlessly beats down on it. The coach is sultry and scorched with the railway fans blowing really really hot . While most co passengers are grumbling about their fate , I silently enjoy the travel, sitting by the window.

When it was inevitable that I would be travelling in sleeper class, I was chided for not planning my trip early, I was told it'd be unbearable, I was told I would shrivel up like a raisin, I was told I would become two tones darker by the time I got down. I agree, it is hot, it is sapping. But I wasn't told there would be a variety of gregarious co passengers, not in the least bit self absorbed. I wasn't told I would be witnessing unbelievable shades of brown and "dry grass" green, I wasn't told I would be witnessing a picture perfect profile of a lady framed in the golden evening sun. I wasn't told that the sun, setting on these barren lands would look so spectacular. Maybe I’m mad; maybe it’s the heat frying up my brains. But I really wish I could show you these things through my eyes or at least through a lens; if only the subject in contention was less transient.

As I get up and move towards the door I realize that for me, all train journeys are beautiful regardless of the conditions, unless of course, you're mobbed by people with unreserved tickets, then it does becomes unpleasant. I use the word beautiful because beauty is something that captures you. The sound of metal rattling along the tracks is a mesmerizing rhythm of human achievement. The pleasure of standing on the footsteps and watching the ground beneath zoom past you is priceless

As I stand here, the wind blowing across my face I’m reminded of another remarkable journey I had few years back. In my previous Job I had to take the Chennai MRTS to reach my work place. On that particular day, the work had been strenuous and I was just returning back . As usual, I was at the footsteps along with a few others. The day had been dark and cloudy throughout, totally in sync with my gloominess. Soon enough, there was a cloudburst and it started raining like crazy. The train at this point was travelling so fast that these drops, as they fell down, were striking us horizontally. We were drenched from head to toe in no time. Those ten minutes defined the word 'bliss'. Absolute bliss. we stood there shaking while the more formally attired co-passengers looked at us balefully.Now, imagine a shower of cold water at full throttle on your face, that would be just half as good as this. A jet ski ride?? Hmm comparable, I would say.

Presently, I spot the chai wallah at the end of the coach and I want a cuppa.As i wade across back to  my seat, the girl sitting across looks even prettier. The reddish glow of the setting sun and a smile playing on her lips; oh wait, I think she has been aware of me stealing glances at her all this time.
Life is beautiful. Isn’t it??

4 comments:

  1. Truly captivating :)Samme da!! Was really one awesome journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. super da.... you're becoming a gethu writer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naaice:-) Train journeying is indeed an amazing experience:-) and Love the last paragraph;-)

    ReplyDelete