Sunday, February 2, 2014

KT 1: chilli

So friends, there is another blog out there. A "well tried" food blog is up on blogger to chronicle random stuffs that i cook, eat , like etc. you are welcome to check it http://thcosh.blogspot.in/  :)  (no post as of now, but you are welcome to check it later).

KT is basically Kakinada times: short posts every now and then about things that amuse me here.

So people in AP ( Andhra Pradesh) are known for their spicy food. After 4 months here, I have got a handle on it and now I'm pretty comfortable with it.We, two others of the same age group live in an apartment. I was the last to join the group and by then the system was already in place a maid would cook and clean and us, eat and whine. The trepidation I felt biting into the red cauliflower on the first day was not misplaced. My eyes watered and the mind played strains of violin, sad and ominous. I smiled. I cried.

In time though, it was ok, that is as long as I avoided biting on a chilli piece directly. This is probably what i would call the second phase of acclimatization: Play mine sweeper with food . I mastered the expert maze set by the indomitable beans in one month. 

We all get bored of our routine. All of us singing paeans about "mom's food" really did hate it at some point during our school days. So after mastering the mirchi, I decided the time was ripe to make my life miserable again and try my hand at cooking. Cooking, here, would mean preparing small dishes that compliment or add life to the existing meal prepared by her. (no, not adding salt and pepper). The plan was either cooking up a light breakfast say upma, rava dosa etc or a second subzi or a rasam in the afternoon etc.

So here I was, a fine Sunday morning, back from a walk, fresh, sunny etc. etc. The vegetables are bought by our maid, we don't have a refrigerator as of now, so she buys on a very day basis & we pay her monthly for those. I was still confident of finding the usual stock of "back up veg's"  or the essentials like onions , potatoes, tomatoes etc. . . so after some calisthenics in front of the range, I proceeded to check my inventory. 

No onions, oh my! no tomato too, ha!! 2 potatoes. good. what?? 3 handfulls of green chillis!! what.....

No comments:

Post a Comment